Advantages of Chain hoist
- Chain hoist is compact.
- Chain hoist size remains almost the same even if the lift increases or decreases. So this can be done later on also, when the user has to increase the lifting height.
- They find there use in clean room applications or where the contamination from oil, dust etc is critical like food processing industry.
- The electric Wire rope hoists, typically has oil filled gearboxes, which can lead to contamination in case the oils drips. Also the wire rope is such which attracts dusts and is difficult to clean.
- Chain hoist on the other hand comprises usually compact, grease filled gearbox, also the chain can be cleaned of any oil or dust on it.
- Due to lower self weight chain hoist can be easily dismantled and installed at a new location.
Due to compact size they are suitable in areas where low head room is available and where there are space constraints.
- Some chain hoists of Single Phase Motors are also available in market whose costs are much lesser than the electric wire rope hoist.
- Chain hoist is usefull in low load applications below 5t and where the frequency of operation are not much.
Ultimately cost of chain hoist is much lesser compared to electric wire rope hoist due to compact size and construction.
Disadvantages of Chain hoist
- Chain hoists cannot be customised, the speeds etc are standard as per manufacturer.
- Chain can snap immediately. Wire rope normally tears off strand by strand. Routine inspection can prevent any major mishap to happen.
- Side pulling although the same is not allowed in wire rope hoist also, but in chain hoist immediate accidents can occur in case of side pulling.
- They cannot be used for higher frequency of operations, and typicaly finds their use for light to moderate duty applications.
- Chain hoists cannot be used in steel mill applications where hot metal is to be handled.
Overall Electric Wire Rope Hoists are more durable and sturdy and can be used for heavy duty whereas chain hoist is best suited for low to moderate applications and upto 5t load.