If you are buying a new crane or considering increasing efficiency of our old crane this article is for you.
In earlier days cabin operated cranes were the order of the day.
But these days pendant control or radio remotes are preferred simply because the visibility is much better from ground level than from the top ( inside cabin).
( Crane Cabin )
Disadvantages of Cabin Operated Cranes :
- In cabin operated crane the crane driver has to rely on another personal on floor to give directions and signals to move the hook in various directions. Hence visibility is not good from the top level and can lead to accidents.
- Further since 2 persons are required 1 crane driver and the other helper to guide maneuver the crane it is adding onto the expenses of operating the crane.
- A person has to climb up the crane. Which could be dangerous sometimes. We seen cases when the crane operator once climbs up does not come down the whole day. Causing hardship and stress to the crane operator.
- Crane operation becomes dependant on a single person. In case of his absence the crane remains idle through our the day.
- Cranes are subjected to lot of impacts, they are all transmitted to human person sitting in the cabin again causing stress to the operator.
- In case of closed cabins the cabin glass might not be clean enough and could cause accidents
Advantages of Pendant or Radio Operated Cranes :
- Visibility from ground is better of the obstacles in the path of the hook. Specially when the load is big and voluminous
- Single person can hook, move, lift and unload the material. Thereby increasing the operating efficiency of the crane.
- Since the operator is moving along with the load. His alertness is much more than person who is sitting in the cabin. Who can very easily get fatigued and my even fall asleep.
- Operator can warn people around not be below the load while traversing the load.
- Crane is not dependent on specialised crane operator, anyone with basic knowledge can operate the crane
Applications where Cabin should be opted for :
However crane cabin has disadvantages as described above, there are certain conditions where cabin should be opted for.
- Hot metal handling
- When the long travel speedismktethan 30MPM the either cabin or radio remote should’ve opted for